Wow, 2013. You have been a true year with dramatic highs and lows, 12 months full of fiery sunsets, memorable runs, delicious food, a few voyages, and some “character development” moments, as my mom would call it..
Amanda has posted this running-specific set of questions that I’d love to answer this year!
What was your:
Best race experience? I absolutely loved the Tinker Bell Half experience…I got to start in corral A, and just ran my little heart out…despite taking time to take photos with 90% of the characters, I captured a new PR of a couple minutes.
Best run? Easily this leg of Ragnar Relay…just me on Highway 1, the moon and the ocean.
Best piece of running advice you received? All the different recipes I’ve received from Runner’s World (including the cookbook) for optimum fueling
Most inspirational runner? Ms Krissy. Not only did she help motivate me thru a hard race, I watched her practice exactly what she preached to me a month later when she had a harder race. Thanks lady!
If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Inconsistent, and looking forward to more base building.
And here is a quick rundown of highlights and lowlights of my 2013:
- I ran Ragnar Relay: Florida Keys with BART YASSO thanks to the power of social media and being in the right place at the right time. Read my recaps here: Leg 1, Leg 2, and Leg 3. Cannot say enough about this experience
- I got into the meet up for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekend, as well as having the half marathon of my life that weekend! Met so many fun friends and really got me excited for the upcoming runDisney race season. Still thankful for everyone I met.
- My job took me on a business trip to Disneyland! Easily the best work week of my year…training a new team (of some of my new favorite colleagues) for 40 hours, and play time in Disneyland afterwards?! It was heavenly.
- My dear college pals, who have watched me on my running journey, decided that they wanted to do the Princess Half with me. What a weekend, and we are looking forward to repeating in 2014! This was my first experience pacing and in the later corrals at a runDisney race. (another recap perhaps forthcoming)
…I see from Twitter I tried out Yellow Dog Eats (eccentric BBQ) and Splitsville (classy bowling and beers) for the first time. Both were AWESOME experience.
Went canoeing at the springs (an adventure in itself) and had some very fun adventures at Universal, including beer for breakfast and planking with dinos.
- I ran Expedition Everest Challenge for my third year! Dropped some knowledge here if you want to know what to expect :)
- I had the opportunity to meet my #1 favorite musician, Olly Murs, after an AMAZING House of Blues concert
June was month of work kick in the teeth, and I have learned so much about myself and how to deal with what seems like a setback.
- I got to participate in my first Canoe Races of the World. CROW is a Walt Disney Parks and Resorts tradition, where Cast Members form teams and race giant canoes around the Rivers of America. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel vaguely like Pocahontas as we rounded the bend and saw Big Thunder Mountain reflecting the sunrise. Our team didn’t place in the finals, but dang if it wasn’t fun. I honestly cannot wait to row again.
just a whole lot of reveling in the Florida heat at some of my favorite theme parks.
Also joined this epic team for my princess journey this year
September marked the arrival of my favorite season: ALL THE HOLIDAYS TILL THE NEW YEAR. Got to attend Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party as Vanessa from the Little Mermaid, and definitely sang every single word to Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious at a dance party.
- I ran the Tower of Terror 10 Miler and majorly enjoyed the Food + Wine Festival.
- I had my first race volunteering experience.
- Wine and Dine/My mom visited and spectated her first runDisney race and we ATE ARTIST POINT to celebrate.
- Traveled to ATL for some runDisney fun.
- I got to perform in the Candlelight Processional twice.
- I picked up a part time job working at a running store for some sales experience and a couple other perks ;). It does mean I work lots and lots and lots, and basically catch up on sleep on the weekend.
- I attempted the RWRunStreak and got over halfway through before I claimed sleep as more important at this particular season. Recaps of Week 1, Week 2, and Week 3 (with Saving Mr. Banks love) here.
And goodness, how lucky 2013 was for me, when I look back and think. Wishing you all the happiest of memories and the brightest of New Years!